Reign: 4x15 “Blood in the Water”

Mary: "We are still family.  And what is family in this dark and bitter world, but a glimmer of light in the distance?"

The sound you’re hearing right now is me rolling my eyes….

I can not believe this was a penultimate episode….

So, where are we?
Baby James is born. Check.
Elizabeth’s finally done with all this marriage nonsense. Check.
Darnley is heading full speed in his somewhat historically accurate and well deserved demise. Check.

That’s about it. With only one episode left I doubt we ever see Mary's life with Bothwell, her years of imprisonment, abdication in favour of her son, her fight for her rightful place as a queen and quite remarkable and interesting relations with Elizabeth, her later plot against Elizabeth and consequent trial and execution. There is simply not enough time. I’m flashing back to my article Reign: Before the final season and starting to think that they will end on some possibly positive note. Unless the finale will be 3 hours long and we jump twenty something years forward….

Sigh…

Okey, now, that I got my historical ranting out of the way, let’s talk the episode…

Nothing new really happened in France. Charles is still as naive and in love as thirteen years old and Henry is still trying to grab any chance to be king. Oh, yeah Leesa was back. I did not miss her, but what a joy it was to see her behind bars. What else? Oh, right – Catherine plotted the murder of Nicole. No surprise here, but her approach was rather strange. Since when the book of spells and imprisoned witch became the means of last resort for Catherine de Medici? And I am still amazed at how high a poor peasant girl managed to climb. I mean, I understand her being King’s mistress, but a Queen of France? Come on! Even Charles should not have been that stupid. Also, what is all this fuss about? She isn’t even that pretty and more conniving than intelligent…. Oh, well….

We got the confirmation (not that we needed one) that Jane was working for Narcisse and she indeed was the one who poisoned Gideon. And apparently Narcisse isn’t done yet. Elizabeth loosing the love of her life is the price not high enough for executing Lola. It will cost her marriage and plunge her country in war with Austria and Spain. What a gruesome plan to shake the world picture and all it took a grieving husband and a maid. If Elizabeth wasn’t blinded with grief she would’ve realized it sooner.

Historical bits

Archduke of Austria was a serious contender for Elizabeth’s hand, and then relations with the Habsburgs had deteriorated. Yep, that is pretty much what happened in the episode.

It has been speculated that Darnley was recovering from syphilis, albeit the official version stated smallpox.

Francis Drake was second-in-command of the English fleet against the Spanish Armada in 1588.  Twenty-two years after the events of this episode; I am basing my calculations on James’ date of birth. Nice touch for him to be responsible for aggravating the situation that played out here.

Some observations  

The annulment of Claude’s marriage to Luc was, well, annulled. Charles put a pause on that one. Like I said in the previous review – one step forward two steps back. 

Luc let Claude go... He is a very decent man. Are we sure he’s Narcisse’ son?

Leith is marrying another. That was rather quick…

Mary and Bothwell’s 'we will – we won’t' back and forth has become tiresome to watch. Make up your mind, lovely couple, because I’m loosing interest.

Wardrobe department

The “Best Dress of the week” Award goes to Greer.
The wardrobe choices made for her were always horrible at best. This one was lovely.
 

The “Worst Dress of the week” Award goes also to Greer.
I know, they are very frivolous with hair and dresses… but what on earth was that?
 

Memorable Quotes:

Charles: “Nicole loves me as I love her. She's the only person I've ever been able to count on in the world. God knows what Henri's doing to Nicole against her will as we speak.”
I laughed so hard I scared my dog.

Francis Drake: “Everyone who walks through these doors wants something from you. If they say otherwise, they're lying.”

Mary: "I've been seeing it all wrong. The danger is not in us being close. It's in our being apart. My enemies are going to gossip and lie about me no matter what I do. As far as I'm concerned, they can all go to hell. I going to spend the rest of my life with the ones I love."
Finally

Catherine: "Keeping your promise because you want to be good and honorable, isn't the same as keeping your promise because you truly love someone." 

Sol’s rating: it is somewhere between 1 and 2 out of 4. Not a very good set up for the finale. Let’s hope we’re not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment